My Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
- “Speak Lord, your servant is listening.” These words were suggested to young Samuel as a response to God’s call.
- “Come and see!”, Jesus told those curious about His identity.
These two phrases can be directed to young people searching for a life that is fulfilled and happy. A young man’s prayer life should not be filled with a laundry list of requests, rather, he should beg Jesus, “Speak Lord, your servant is listening.”
A surprise may await. “What, me? A priest?” Yours truly had the same attitude. The only honest response is to check it out. “Come and see!”, they were told by Jesus. Today you do that by inquiring. Asking questions. Talking to someone. I would be happy to steer potential candidates in the right direction. It is worth a try.
There is a game plan:
- Get to know Jesus better through prayer and a regular sacramental life.
- Get involved in parish activities.
- Participate in the many Diocesan vocational activities sponsored by our local church.
- Be open-minded and accepting of yourself and the requirements of church ministry as a priest
God’s call is gentle but persistent. A voice in the night as Samuel heard. Loving and simple like Jesus’ voice, “Come and see”. I am sure that many young men in our community would hear him calling if they were open.
May your search be guided by Jesus’ grace.
God bless you all!